So things are actually looking up at the kindergarten
school! It is not anywhere near what I'd like it to be, but I’ve been trying so hard with the kids and they are starting to calm
down and actually participate in the activities I have for them. I have given
up that they will ever give me another teacher and so I’ve been trying to rise
up to the occasion. After school yesterday, Ms. Nabila came up to me and asked
me directly if I was going to quit. I told her I had been seriously considering
it, but I was willing to try if they would try with me.
When I was teaching today, she stopped by my class a few
times and told me how much better I was doing. She said “See, I told you it
would get better!” I realized that from the beginning they never planned on giving me another
teacher. But I feel so satisfied with my progress with the kids and I really
want to be successful at this, so I think it will work out. Today, I got
almost all of the names of my two classes memorized, which is a huge feat, since they
all have names that I have never heard of before and most of them I couldn’t
say correctly at first.
The funniest moment of all was when one of the Arabic
teachers, Ruba, stopped by my class for a moment. Her son, Own, is a student in
the class and she wanted to get a picture. She pulled out her phone, said “Smile!”
and there was instant silence in the classroom as every child dropped their
books and pencils, turned to her and grinned. These five year olds are well
trained with cameras, if nothing else. Maybe I can use that the next time they
get too rowdy.
On the drive home today, I was thinking about more things
I can do to motivate the kids and help them learn. Both boys and girls like
stickers at that age, right? I’m actually starting to get excited about the
things I can do with them. Along with learning their names, I’m starting to
really like them and enjoy them. They are so beautiful. The other teachers keep
telling me I need to be more harsh and demanding with them. I don’t think I’ll
try that, I just want us all to enjoy each other.
So I was feeling much better about everything today, but
as I was telling the other teachers about my progress, Denise and Penelope (the
girls that also teach at the kindergarten school) actually got a little upset
with me. They told me that it was good that I was adjusting, but since I was succumbing
to the unrealistic demands of Ms. Nabila, I was going to make things harder for
them and for any teachers that came in the future. I don’t know why Denise was
upset since she told our boss, Makis, that she refused to
go back there and has been staying home the last few days. And Penelope has another Arabic teacher with her the entire day, so she hasn’t had to deal with quite the same issues.
I have had more practice these last few days at arguing
and standing up for myself than ever before in my life. And I am actually doing
it! I told them that I could sort of see their side of the situation, but also
that I thought they were wrong since neither of them was currently teaching by themselves. I told them to stop being angry at me and that I didn’t like them
blaming me for anything, when they have the freedom to do whatever they want in
the situation, same as me.
I just can’t win! The crazy part is that all this arguing
is actually kind of liberating, rather than awful, as arguing usually is for
me. I don’t think I could ever be an abrasive person, but this has definitely
been some good practice of saying what I think, even when I know the other
person will disagree. It can be satisfying. And somehow, I think we will all still be friends and get along. At least, I hope so.
In short, I am still alive! And I’ll be around here for a
little longer! I can’t believe it’s only been about a week! Here are a few more
pictures, I’m ready to go out and see more cool things. Hopefully soon.
This was lunch today. Some eggplant, potatoes, tomatoes and onions in a sauce with rice. I've had rice a lot since being here. Some of the food is quite spicy, I like it. I need to try some more desserts.
A view from the car on the way to the school. It's a desert, but really hilly. And there are surprisingly tons of cars. This road doesn't have lines on it, even though it is like a highway. The cars drive wherever they want to on the street and are constantly weaving around. Even when there are lines on the road, they don't mean a thing. It's kind of exciting :)
Even though my experience teaching here has been pretty rocky, I'm so glad I came. It really is an adventure, and I've had so much fun meeting new people and seeing new places. !هذا هو رائع


Yay for being assertive! I"m proud of you! I'm also happy that it's getting better and the children are behaving better. Are you exhausted at the end of the day? Do you only teach kindergarten now? I wasn't quite sure from your posts...What do you wear to class? Sorry for all the questions. Are the native teachers getting any friendlier?
ReplyDeleteLove,
Mom
YES! So glad everything is coming along Hilz. See, who would have thought all of that arguing and pushing ridiculous demands on the Esoteric team could have been beneficial in the Middle East. Who would have thought you would have had something to thank MultiLing for...haha. Glad things are improving, good luck Hilz. Go eat some desserts.
ReplyDeletePatty
Hil! I'm glad things have gotten a bit better the last few days. And brava! for learning the names of the kids in your class. You will have to teach us all of the Arabic you learn :) Love you!
ReplyDeleteYes, to all your questions mom! I'm only in kindergarten right now, and it is exhausting! They gave me a polo shirt with their logo on it that I wear with jeans. The other teachers are being much nicer now.
ReplyDeleteThanks Patty and Liz! :)