Some people have told me I need to post the backstory of
my decision to come to Jordan. I will do so more in-depth in a later post, but
ultra-short version: I graduated from BYU in Linguistics and was ready for an
adventure. The opportunity to teach English here in Jordan fell into my lap
through a coworker that taught here a few years ago. It is a Cambridge English program, taught at the Greek Orthodox church from September - May.
Today was my first real day. I slept surprisingly well,
even with the time difference. I had stayed up all night the day before I left
and I think that was actually the best thing I could have done to get a head start
on the jetlag. A few other teachers have been here a few days and are still
having a really hard time, but I feel pretty well adjusted already.
My living situation is quite nice. There are a few
buildings that comprise the Greek Orthodox campus: the Pilgrim’s hotel, run by
some very nice women who provide us with breakfast and lunch every day, two
buildings of bedrooms and bathrooms for the English teachers, the chapel and
the school. The chapel was originally built in the 6th century, or somewhere
around that time, and still has some of the original pillars. In 1902, it was
rebuilt, including the mosaic of Jerusalem that covers a big portion of the
floor on the main level. I was able to go inside today and it is a very holy
place. It isn’t very big, but there are beautiful paintings and tons of mosaics
all over the walls. Tourists have to buy tickets before they can come inside,
but as a teacher here, I can go in whenever. I was told that they just finished
a few big celebrations and rituals for some of the virgins, but they should be
having some regular services soon. I would love to attend if I can.
I haven’t seen very much of the school, just some of the
offices where the teachers met today to receive books that we will be teaching
out of for the first few weeks. I was a little nervous about teaching, but
after seeing some of the confusion and chaos of the organization today, I feel
just fine. Besides the books that I was given as a general guideline, it seems
I have complete freedom to teach however I want. I would like to start making
plans, but since I don’t know how many students I will have, their ages, or
levels of English, I don’t think there is much I can do to prepare. The most
repeated bit of advice I have received is to be very strict and rigorous when
class first starts. The other teachers have told me that the students will walk
all over me if I let them, and I will need to lay down the law from the very
beginning.
There is another Hilary here, from the USA, and I think we
will get along very well. She brought Insanity (the workout videos) since we
can’t go out running, and invited me to do it with her. Yay! I’m super excited
about it. She just finished her second Master’s degree from Oxford. Her thesis
was something about the influence of Western philosophy and religion on Middle
Eastern society. She came here to learn some Arabic in preparation for her
doctorate degree on the beginnings of Christianity in the Middle East. Holy
cow!
There are a few teachers from Australia, one from Greece,
and a few from the USA. Almost all of them, even if they have studied Arabic,
don’t actually speak very much. We are all excited about learning it though.
There are a few different options for me to study and take classes, depending
on how much time and money I want to dedicate to it. I’ve been trying to learn
the script and some basic grammar principles by myself and I most definitely
need someone that can answer my questions.
In the evening, we went for a small walk around the city
and I loved seeing everything. There were cars and people everywhere. All the
streets were lined with small shops and businesses and I imagine the upper
floors are where they live. The shops are right up against the streets, which
are very narrow. Many of the streets can only fit one car going one way. There
is a huge variety of shops, some clothing, many restaurants, drugstores, and
lots of churches too. There was one big mosque that we passed, and I am
assuming that the calls to prayer come from there. It was so fun to see
everything. I’m not going out by myself any time soon, I would get lost very
quickly, but I can’t wait to see more of the city.
It turns out that I won’t be teaching here in Madaba. I
was assigned to teach classes in Fuhais, which is about an hour away. Classes
for me don’t start until Friday, so I have another day to settle in. I feel
less overwhelmed and crazy today. I think this was a good decision! I have
decided to stay for sure until the end of the year, and then I will evaluate if
I will stay longer or come home. Good plan, yeah?
More pictures coming soon!
Awesome Hilary! We had a Greek Orthodox church just behind our flat in London and I loved to go eat my lunch in their gardens as often as I could. It was a tiny little church so it wasn't very busy and I could enjoy the solitude. I can't wait to see pictures! I'm so glad you're updating a lot--I want to hear everything!
ReplyDeleteI am so happy for you and proud of you. You are so brave. I wish I was with you. I am in spirit so keep the adventures coming. Miles wishes he was with you. He has always wanted to learn Arabic. Love you Barbara
ReplyDeleteThanks Hilary for the detailed posts! It sounds like a lot of fun and a neat experience. Does your teaching in that other city mean that your workday will be two hours longer than those that stay in Madaba?
ReplyDeleteYes, unfortunately :( But they are building teacher housing there that should be completed in about a month, and then I will be moving over there.
DeleteAre any other English-speaking teachers going to Fuhais? Is there public transportation from Fuahis to Madaba?
ReplyDeleteYour adventure is fascinating. True immersion in an alien culture -- very cool!