Welp, another two days under my belt. The 4th
and 5th graders yesterday were great, as expected. The
kindergartners today were somewhat better. For the first 2 hours I was left
alone again with 31 five year olds, but this time I was better prepared and the
chaos levels were slightly lower. Our relationship with the principal and other
teachers has gotten even worse though. Before classes started, I told Ms.
Nabila that I could not be alone with the kids. It wasn’t fair to them. Finally
she gave in and said, “Ok, I will go with you.” She went with me to the
classroom and then 2 minutes later she left. After I had been with the class
for a few hours, another teacher finally walked in so I could have a 10 minute
break and she got really mad at me. She even started yelling. She said that I
was supposed to teach the kids things, and not just play games with them, as
she had walked in when we were all singing a song together. I showed her the
worksheets they had done and tried to explain all the things I had taught them,
but she was still mad. The nice thing about being in a culture that shows
emotion is that you can too. I told her I was doing the best that I could and
that she wasn’t being fair and that I wasn’t supposed to be alone with them in
the first place. And I walked out for my break.
So I went to where a few other Arabic teachers were
sitting and sat down. I asked the lady next to me where the cups were to get a
drink of water and she said “I don’t know” and then got up and left to go sit
by other Arabic teachers. What the heck??
Then Ms. Nabila found me and told me that they needed me
to teach another class the same English lessons I had taught first thing in the
morning. So I had another few hours with a new class, once again all by myself.
Thank goodness in this class there were only about 15 kids. I have learned a
few phrases now, like “Can I go to the bathroom?” and “I want my mom” and “now”
so when I heard them, I could try to respond, but it was still crazy and
exhausting.
I am so frustrated with the staff at that school. We
tried in passing to talk to one of the supervisors there and all he said was “You
are not volunteers here. You get paid for this.” But we are not doing what we had
previously agreed to before coming here, and there is no reason to be unkind.
I can see their side of the matter. It is a brand new
school, they are understaffed and are just trying to get things organized and
running. But they blatantly lie to our faces and they won’t admit any of the
problems that we are having. Rather, they are treating us like we’re the
problem.
I talked to my actual boss (none of the staff at the
school are my boss) and he seemed to agree with me. He apologized a few times
and told me he didn’t know it was going to be like that. That is true for everyone
involved since the kindergarten school is brand new. He assigned my 4th
and 5th grade classes to another teacher and told me that we would
have another meeting to discuss additional pay for the additional hours. That
is nice, I guess, but it still doesn’t solve the problems with the
administration there.
Whatever. I’m here to have an adventure and enjoy myself.
If it doesn’t get any better, or they still insist that I move into the school’s
basement, I’ll quit, and not even feel bad about it. But I’m going to try and
enjoy my time outside of teaching and leave all the problems there.
Yesterday we went to the Visitor’s Center of Madaba and
learned more about the city and what there is to see and do here. First thing
on the list was the archaeological museum here, just a two minute walk from
where we are living. We saw some amazing mosaics and old buildings, most of
them about 2,000 years old!
This is the mosque that is just a few blocks from where we live. The calls to prayer come from here and are really loud. Sometimes, right after the calls to prayer start, the Orthodox church starts playing their bells at the same time. Very loud competitions of religious noises.
The courtyard in the archaeology museum. Inside each archway are more ancient mosaics.
A huge Greek mosaic that covers the floor of a room. They said the original piece contained hundreds of thousands of pieces.
A view further back of the same Greek mosaic.
A Roman road built around the time of Christ. We walked down it and wondered what other people did all those years ago.
An ancient church. This room and floor mosaic are all that are left. We weren't allowed in any further.
The most green I have seen in Jordan so far. This was a garden outside of the Visitor Center.







The pics are great! Imagine walking down a Roman road....
ReplyDeleteDo you have to teach every day of the week? What is your schedule? I hope it gets better and that they begin to keep their word to you. It's an adventure alright, one way or the other. Why don't you want to move into the basement of the school -- I assume it's not really meant to be living quarters. I'm glad that you'll refuse if they try to make you live there. You are perfectly right to stand by the terms of your agreement .
I bet the waves of culture shock are adding up. It sounds like the country is wonderful -- just the school administration is lousy! Love you!
Yes, the country is wonderful and everyone has been so nice here. It really is just that crazy school... I don't want to move into the basement for a number of reasons: there they have dorm-room bathrooms, a few stalls and toilets all in the same room instead of private baths, no washer, no breakfast and lunch prepared for us, no kitchen and then the general lack of privacy since there will be a children's area right next to our bedrooms and we won't have any way to escape from the crazy principal. She's already mentioned that once we live there, we will be able to work more hours for her.
DeleteI was scheduled to work every day of the week, but my boss is letting me drop my classes with the older children on Friday and Sunday. So now I have just 5 days a week.